INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS
Manuscripts submitted for publication in URBAN ANTHROPOLOGY and STUDIES OF CULTURAL SYSTEMS AND WORLD ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (hereafter “UAS”) must conform to the following requirements:
1. An initial contact with the editor by e-mail is strongly encouraged.
2. All manuscripts should be submitted to the editor as an e-mail attachment. The manuscript should be formatted using Microsoft WORD. (See the editor’s address below.)
3. All typed material must be double spaced including all text, notes, and quotations. Liberal margins must be provided.
4. Note numerals in the body of the text itself should be numbered consecutively through the manuscript. Notes should be “substantive” notes only, and not simply references to sources. All notes should appear at the end of the text of the manuscript, beginning on a separate page labeled “Notes.” Notes should occur as regular type, and not in the “footnote” style common to computer-based word processors.
5. Sources cited in the body of the text will appear at the end of the manuscript in a section entitled “References Cited.” Sources in the references cited section will contain all information normally required and will conform to styles current in UAS (a variant of the style found in the AMERICAN ANTHROPOLOGIST). References to those sources that appear in the text of the manuscript will appear in parenthetical form, e.g. (Malinowski 1918:121). When the name of the author has been mentioned in the sentence, only the date and page need be included, e.g. (1918:121).
6. Illustrations (photographs, drawings, diagrams, and charts) will be termed “Figures” and are to be numbered in one consecutive series of Arabic numerals. Figures should also be a distinct set of numbers from tables.
7. Tables should be numbered and referred to by number in the text. Each table should have a descriptive title.
8. An abstract of up to 200 words must accompany the manuscript submitted for publication. This abstract will appear at the beginning of the article in UAS. Abstracts of all articles published in UAS will also appear in those sources indicated above in the “Statement of Policy.” Abstracts submitted must not have appeared in any form prior to publication in UAS.
9. Submission is a representation that the manuscript has not been published previously and is not currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. A statement transferring copyright from the authors (or their employers, if they hold the copyright) to the Institute, Inc. will be required before the manuscript can be accepted for publication. The Editor will supply the necessary forms for this transfer. Such a written transfer of copyright, which previously was assumed to be implicit in the act of submitting a manuscript, is necessary under U.S. Copyright Law in order for the publisher to carry through the dissemination of research results and reviews as widely and effectively as possible.
E-mail messages to the editor are the primary means of communication. The editor’s physical address and telephone number are: Jack R. Rollwagen, The Institute, Inc., 787 East Avenue, Brockport, NY 14420, USA. TELEPHONE: (585) 637-6531. E-MAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org